National Overview: States and Environmental Education (EE)
- 45 states have organized EE associations.
- 25 states have model EE schools.
- 21 states offer a state EE grant program.
- 20 states have an EE master plan.
- 19 states have a state EE Board (one-third of those are within the Department of Education; two-thirds within Department of Natural Resources or Environmental Protection).
- 17 states have an EE office within state government.
- 15 states have adopted formal EE learning objectives/outcomes.
- 12 states conduct student assessments that include EE.
- 9 states offer an EE teacher certification program.
- 7 states have a statute or bylaw encouraging EE.
- 6 states mandate EE in their K-12 public schools.
- 6 states conduct a state-wide public environmental literacy assessment.
- 4 states have created a functioning permanent EE Trust Fund (Maryland, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Ohio).